Thursday, July 28, 2011

The First Night.




'I should make a move, but I won't.' -Monica

I know you see me, because I see you. I know you’re digging me-
But I don’t need you to. While you were walking up- I was coming down-before I descend further- you quickly turn around. Mr. 400. Stops me for a sec. 'I think I’ve seen you before.' In a past life? Na, it was at the spot- but not the other night.

He said he likes my swag, in so many words. I like his disposition- polished, but not a herb. We step off of the steps- to a secluded space. He’s sizing up my thighs, and I observe his face. Gentle yet pensive eyes. Dark, thick hair. Clean-cut fade. A Ferragamo pair.

Intrigued he asks me more- about my career path- how do I earn a living? What really makes me laugh? We’re at the bar now- throwing a couple back. Compared to what he’s saying, this music's sounding wack.


Are you in a rush? No sir, I’m really not. So come and go with me- to the next spot. Feeling the conversation- we reach our destination. The music is kind of loud. Fragmented crowd. Don’t really like this place. He took me to my car- and then a change of pace.

Can we go and eat? No thanks, I’m not hungry.

It’s getting pretty late- but I enjoyed your company.

Monday night came. July fireworks. He met me downtown. Dinner and dessert. Overlooking the water- we share intimate laughter. I make him smile wide- he loves the friendly chatter.

A man unfolding slowly- in his own way.

I sense the guarded gate- I steadily knock it away.

Not too much into family- but I’m close with mine. He hasn’t seen his momma
- in a long time.

We walk along the water- fierce, warm breeze. We sit along the water- talking with gentle ease. A few moments of silence- the Bay is really quiet. Exchange of current thoughts- really light words.

Then we walk back- I stop him at the curb. Don’t open my door yet- stay here for a second. I open my arms-wide, and hug him for a minute. What was that for? He asks, a little dazed- but this is why people date- so you can learn my ways.

We speed off to Sobe.-a laid-back lounge. I heard the spot was fresh- and always going down.

Approach the bar first- he buys me a strong-drink. We post up on the side- I wonder how he thinks. We watch the people walk. We hear the people talk. And the guitarist plays- some rockish-reggae jams- from back in the day. Head towards the back- it’s like a bashment- dancehall grooves- Jamaican funk style. He grabs another drink- in this tight crowd.

We go to the corner- I stand as he sits. We get a little closer- he touches my waist and hips. The Vodka’s kicking in- the vibes are full of sin- onto the Capleton- feels like he's more than a friend.

We stay a little longer- our connection is feeling stronger- some close exchange of words- he kisses me on my cheek. First time in a while, I felt a little weak. We make our way out -through a tight crowd. The music’s still blazing- but he wants to head south.

Finally he brings me home- I let him come inside. Instant comfort there- he likes my apartment’s vibe. We watch Dave Chappelle- Rick James bitch- I compliment his watch- he gently strokes my wrists.

We chat a little more- he asks ‘why are you single?’ I explain why- he looks me in my eye- I prop my legs up; he starts to rub my thighs.

We talk a little more- laugh at Charlie Murphy- Its getting close to 4- but nobody's in a hurry.


He comes a little closer- before I could remiss- he pulls my face in- and he thieved a kiss. And if you saw his lips- you also wouldn’t resist. I had to back up, attempting to dismiss. Is it ok to kiss? I couldn’t even respond. I was breathless from this physical bond. I slightly hesitated- and then insinuated- the reception was initiated- and then I reciprocated.

Very late now, I had to kick him out. Date 1: accomplished.

He should take a bow.

No comments: